Barnsley Local Style Icons

October 02, 2017


We have been taking your nominations of local style icons, people who have a great sense of style whether that be a friend, family, co-worker. We have loved meeting these people, here we want to show you the stylish people of Barnsley! We have interviewed them along with pictures of their favourite outfits.



Tracy Ellam

Tell us about yourself...
I've had few jobs in my time, but right now I'm an order picker/packer for Meletts in Barugh Green in Barnsley, they make turbochargers. I love music and try to get as many festivals, gigs, all night clubs as I can. I love indie music and also love old skool dance, 80s and 90s are the best! I now have a Vespa Motorbike called Audrey and so I have more freedom to get from A to B. I love spending time with my family, friend's and my other half and we go on lovely holidays. 

How would you describe your sense of style?
My sense of style I would say I like bright colours and very child like fabrics, maybe a bit quirky and I like one offs that's why I also shop at independent shops like Junction 36 in Hoyland Common. I've also been told my style quite punky and modlike! 

Where is your favourite places to shop for fashion?
My favourite places to shop are Lazyoaf who are based in London on Carnaby Street, I came across Lazyoaf quite few years back but I can buy online from them. Also same time as I found Lazyoaf, I found Drop Dead who also has a shop on Carnaby Street but is based in Sheffield as well. Alice Takes A Trip is another favourite of mine, 2 sisters based in Sheffield and they make lovely clothes. I also love Asos for Fred Perry, Paul Smith, House of Holland and love Moschino and Dr.Martens but when I have a bit more money in my pocket I love to buy Vivienne Westwood, I just love the style.



Debbie Crohn

Tell us about yourself...
My name is Debbie Crohn and I’m a Yorkshire lass born and bred. In my day job im a senior manager working in the NHS and I’ve worked in the public sector for nearly 20 years. I am passionate about people and I strongly believe if you want know how the shoe fits, ask the person whose wearing it not the one who made it. Talking about shoes, I have 4 passions in life, Shoes, Singing, Clothes and the colour Purple… I have an ever growing collection of Ruby shoes, as well as a new irregular choice shoe maker called Joe Browns, Imelda Marcos has nothing on me! My second passion is singing, and for the past 10 years I have been treading the boards of clubs and pubs across the North of England..Music is a massive part of my life and the joy it brings me to be able to share my passion with others is enormous. 

Where are your favourite places to shop for fashion?
I absolutely love clothes – however whilst my wardrobe is fit to burst, nearly all of my clothes (apart from my underwear) are from charity shops… I even bought my wedding dress off Ebay for £35! I love the idea of being able to recycle clothes as well as bagging a bargain at the same time… However, whilst I do most of my shopping in charity shops, I simply love shopping at Primark (Boutique P) it offers great value for money but also the latest fashions at a quarter of the price. My final passion is for the colour purple – you will see from my photos I love co –ordinating my clothes, shoes, hair, make up and jewellery and there’s very rarely a day goes by where I don’t wear the colour the purple…even our car is purple! 

How would you describe your sense of style?
I can’t say my sense of style is inspired by anyone in particular but I just think the more glitz, sparkle and glamour the better. I'm told that I do have a good sense of style, but this is really born out of my own personal need to look and feel the best I can with the money I have at my disposal..All I know is that being co-ordinated makes me feel whole both personally and professionally. Interestingly at work I'm known as the “purple haired glamourpuss".




Karina Leacock

Tell us about yourself...
My name is Karina Leacock and I’m a leading personal stylist and colourist based in Oxspring. My passion is fashion, but my mission is empowerment. I believe that all women are beautiful and have the right to express their most authentic self through their image. I give my clients the tools to:

1. Dress their shape
2. Know their style
3. Wear their wow colours

Put these 3 elements together and individuals have the skills to create an authentic personal brand/style. This will help them navigate fashions/trends, save them money and time and most importantly – feel fabulous.

My business is in its 10th year, so I’m pretty much full time working with clients. When I’m not working, I’m mummy to Hugo (10) and Jemima (8); and in my spare time love power walking, pilates and tennis. To relax I love sitting down with a cup of tea, slice of cake and Red magazine. 


How would you describe your sense of style?

I’d describe my own style as bold romantic. I’m a lover of cool, bright colours and have never shied away from a red lippy. My signature look is big hair and red lips! My use of colour is bold (I am a colourist after-all), my style is glamorous, but not girly, I favour structured clothes with bold print, lots of texture and oversized accessories. 


Where are your favourite places to shop for fashion?

On the High St I love Zara for jackets, River Island for textured pieces, Warehouse for general stuff.

I live in my wide leg cropped trousers, which I buy from Warehouse, Boden and Next.

For those special pieces I adore a German brand called Madeleine and a Canadian brand called Joseph Ribkoff. 




Nina Ramskill

Tell us about yourself...
I'm Nina mum to Eric (5) and Flora (1.5) and wife to Neil. I'm a stay at home mum so my life is looking after the children and home making! I love yoga and riding my vintage bike. I also enjoy drinking green tea baking and sewing!I love shoes and I have lots of pairs! I'm usually found at home making and creating! 

How would you describe your sense of style?
My sense of style is definitely vintage with colour. All the colours. I have about 4 black things and everything else is colourful. I believe in colour for life! 

Where are your favourite places to shop for fashion?
My favourite places to shop for fashion is the charity shops and I make some of my own clothes too!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Instagram